Now, I am not very good at baking generally, and I envisage buying elaborate birthday cakes for many birthdays to come, but having said that, bubba approves of my baking skills and loves these little muffins. I often take leftovers into nursery with her too so that they don’t get wasted. These are definitely savoury muffins, but because cooked carrot is quite sweet tasting, and the added ingredient of orange juice is sweet, they are sweeter than you would imagine.
150g self-raising flour
60g butter (plus a little more for greasing)
2 large eggs, beaten
2 medium carrots, grated
3 tbsp milk
Juice of 1 orange
• Preheat your oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas Mark 5 and lightly grease a muffin tray. (I use a little silicon heart shaped one that is super cute and non-stick)
• Sift the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre
• Gently melt the butter in a pan over a low heat
• In a separate bowl, combine the beaten eggs and grated carrot, then add the melted butter and mix together
• Pour the carrot mixture into the flour and fold together lightly
• Add the milk and orange juice and gently mix in
• Bake for 10-15 mins depending on size until golden brown then remove from the oven.
• Allow them to sit for 5 mins before turning them out onto a cooling rack
I tried adding 1/4 of a grated courgette to the mixture, with just a little less milk and orange juice, and and that worked really well. (The picture with just 2 muffins on the main Lunch/Snacks page is of the courgette and carrot version.) If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to email me.
Rate this recipe:
Let me know what you think by dropping me an email.