These little wedges are really good for freezing and getting out in the morning in preparation for an easy lunch time. I took one out with us for a picnic recently which made the whole day a lot easier!
225g red lentils
Oil/Unsalted butter for frying
1 finely chopped onion
100g grated cheese
1tsp mixed herbs
1 egg, beaten
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
• Rinse the lentils thoroughly
• Put the lentils into a pan with the water. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the lentils are soft and all the liquid is absorbed. Check occasionally and skim off any froth.
• Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onions until soft.
• Preheat your oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and lightly grease cake tin.
• Drain the lentils and the onion and put them in a mixing bowl. Add the other ingredients and mix well.
• Press into the prepared tin using the back of a spoon.
• Oven bake for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into wedges.
On one forum, I saw that one mum had added in some grated carrot. If you do try any other variations, please feel free to email me at email@example.com if they work!
Rate this recipe:
Let me know what you think by dropping me an email.