This is essentially the recipe I use for hubby and me but it works well for bubba too, with a couple of minor tweaks. (The recipe below includes the minor tweaks.) I haven’t included the amounts of pasta (or the associated cooking instructions) because I find that it is a good idea to make a batch of the bolognese, portion it up and keep it in the freezer so that it can be served with pasta, a jacket potato, rice, etc.
500g minced beef or lamb
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 small chopped onion
1 ½ tsp garlic paste
1 low salt beef or veg stock cube
Dash Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- Fry the onion and garlic together in a small amount of olive oil
- Add the mince and fry over a medium-high heat until the meat is browned
- Crumble a stock cube into the mince and thoroughly mix in, along with the mixed herbs
- Add the chopped tomatoes and ketchup, stir well
- Allow the mince to simmer for 15 mins, and meanwhile, cook the required amount of pasta (if you’re having it with pasta)
- Sprinkle each portion with a small amount of grated cheese if desired
This is more or a tip than variation, but this recipe makes a family size portion of bolognese so therefore I recommend either eating this as a family meal, or freezing it in convenient smaller portions.
Rate this recipe:
Let me know what you think by dropping me an email.